Monday 21 September 2009

Monday 21st September 2009

The political party conference season has kicked off this week with the Liberal Democrats in Bournemouth. I like to see myself as a politically motivated journalist, but not in the party political sense. On this blog at least, I try to be impartial. However, as a supporter of democracy, if there was a general election tomorrow I would have to vote so would most likely vote for the Lib Dem party, so I'm taking a particular interest in this conference.
Unfortunately I've been working today, so missed the keynote speech by Dr Vince Cable, the man who I think should be leading the party. But just reading up on the speech, I agree with their plans to tax owners of £1 million plus homes. Only 250,000 people would be affected and the proposed 0.5% annual levy would raise £1 billion. No doubt, the Conservatives aren't going to like this idea, but I'm sure those with a £1 million home can afford to pay the levy.
Dr Cable is a credit to his party and its a shame he's a member of the country's third party, as he would be very useful in government. I don't like the idea of a coalition government, but at least if we ever were to have one in the near future it would give Cable the opportunity to run the economy, I'm certain he would do a better job than Alastair Darling or George Osbourne. This is the man who forecast the credit crunch long before the economic collapse last year, if only the powers that be had listened to his warnings.
Vince Cable is probably the most respected individual in the House of Commons and I have nothing against Nick Clegg, but I think having Cable as leader of the Liberal Democrats could be worth plenty of more votes.
All three major party conferences this Autumn will focus on public spending cuts and today the Lib Dems have made clear what services they would cut, I agree with them that Trident should be scrapped.
However, the Lib Dems are treading on dangerous ground if they abandon their pledge to abolish student tuition fees. When I interviewed a Lib Dem councillor last year, I asked him why a young person should support his party and he reminded me that they are the only major party which consistently pushes for the abolition of student tuition fees. I think its safe to say that a large slice of Lib Dem voters are students, so abandoning this pledge will cost them in the polls. And today's students are tomorrow's politicians, company chairmen and newspaper editors, so it will be good to keep them in their good books. There is growing pressure on targeting students to fill the hole in the budget deficit after a report from business leaders says students should accept higher tuition fees and pay more for their loans, but we shouldn't discourage young people from going to university and gaining a degree.
That's all for me for now, I look forward to updating this blog more during the conference season.

No comments: