Monday 18 January 2010

Monday 18th January 2010

It is not very often that I read something on the Internet which angers and frustrates me, but just learning that Southampton fans have been initially allocated a mere 800 tickets for the trip to Exeter next month has really put a dampener on my evening.
Saints may be given more tickets, but the FA have to review "incidents" from when Exeter hosted Leeds on Saturday. I'm not sure what these "incidents" were, but I can predict that only allowing 800 Southampton fans into the away end at St James Park will be more trouble than its worth.
Southampton have averaged a lot more than 800 away fans at League One games this season and no doubt many will be planning to make the journey to Devon, which is one of the more closer and easier away days to get to in the league this season. I myself was hoping to stay with a friend in Exeter and go to the game on February 6th as part of an enjoyable weekend away. But these plans will be thrown into doubt if I can't get a ticket for the match.
There is an alternative. I know some Southampton fans have already bought tickets for the home end (away fans have to apply in writing for tickets and will probably not find out if their application has been successful until a few days before the game)and this is will only lead to trouble. I for one get very expressive and passionate when watching Saints play and would struggle to contain my emotions for a full 90 minutes, even in the presence of opposition supporters. I'm sure that many of my fellow Southampton fans are the same and I don't think Exeter fans will take too kindly to having opposition fans express themselves in their part of the ground.
I hope the FA will see sense by realising that Southampton need to be given as big an allocation as possible. The away stands at St James Park can hold up to 1,500 fans, with an open terrace open to 1,200 and 300 seats available in The Grandstand, according to the Football Grounds Guide. So there could be space for up to 700 at St James Park on Saturday 6th February that would easily be filled by away supporters.
I understand the police, stewards and other ground staff may find it hard to accomodate a large away following, but when I went to watch Saints play at Leyton Orient in October I noticed that many of the stewards inside Brisbane Road were from Southampton Football Club and I'm sure a similar arrangement could be sorted out between Southampton and Exeter for this occasion.
Saints fans should not be punished for the actions of a few irresponsible Leeds United and this limited allocation could really put a spanner in the works for a good weekend away for myself. Its all up to the FA to ensure fairness for both clubs and their sets of fans.

No comments: