Thursday 3 June 2010

Thursday 3rd June 2010

Last night I thought I might as well broaden my horizons by accompanying two friends who were off to see Sex and the City 2 and I must say I can see why not many blokes would choose to see it.
I confess that I enjoyed parts of it, there were a few laughs here and there, but all this obsession with clothes and jewellery obviously wasn't my cup of tea. The characters were also a bit too categorised for my liking; there's Charlotte - the dappy one, Miranda - the clever one and of course, Samantha - the crude and sex obsessed one. Does every clique of ladies have their token personalities like this?
However, I can understand why Sex and the City is so immensely popular with the opposite sex. It has emancipated women, given them a voice and let them talk about things that would have previously been taboo subjects. It is quite fitting that the four girls go to Abu Dhabi, where their counterparts are suppressed, though I'm not quite sure how realistic one scene is towards the end when they are rescued from an angry mob by a group of Muslim women to find their new friends are all wearing the "Spring collection" underneath the veil.
There were far too many shots of bulges for my liking, but as I'm not exactly the target audience I shouldn't be too surprised. Any girl who enjoys Sex and the City can't really complain about their boyfriend or husband reading Nuts magazine or going to watch a film to lust over Megan Fox, as I suppose this is their equivalent.
From what I understand this film hasn't been very warmly received. When we left the cinema both Jenny and Hayley claimed it wasn't as good as it's prequel and I have other friends who were critical of this one, describing it as "awful" and atrocious", but this my first Sex and the City experience, so I can't compare it to anything else.
I now feel shamefully unmasculine so am off to watch my History of the FIFA World Cup DVD!

3 comments:

Beil said...

Ah, I think I'll wait for the 1080p blu-ray rip torrent, then :)

Anonymous said...

I think you'll find it's 'Abu Dhabi'
Good article though!

SammyD said...

Well spotted, thanks.