Wednesday 26 May 2010

Wednesday 26th May 2010

With just 16 days left until the big kick off I think I've caught the World Cup fever. Pubs across the country are proudly displaying the national flag, friends are inviting me to join their sweepstake and Mars have announced themselves as the Official Snack Supplier to the England team, it can only be that time again. The World Cup has become as hyped up as Christmas, except arguably its better than Christmas; we may have to wait four years for it to come along but it lasts longer!
Since the football season ended for my team nearly three weeks ago I've been suffering from football withdrawal symptoms, but luckily on June 11th that big gap in my life will be filled. The prospect of three games a day live on terristrial television is certainly enough to satisfy my appetite for the beautiful game. I look forward to seeing the likes of Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Xavi perform on the world stage in front of an audience of billions. I highly anticipate the shock results we can inevitably expect somewhere along the way; can North Korea do the impossible and qualify from the group of death? Probably not, but surely we can expect a small nation to follow in the footsteps of Croatia in 1998 and South Korea in 2002 as the surprise package of the tournament.
As for England's chances of lifting the trophy on July 11th, I'm very pessimistic. In Fabio Capello we may have one of the best coaches in the world who will be expected to reach the semi final stage at least, but I think we're still a top quality goalkeeper and world class striker to partner Wayne Rooney up front short of having a world beating squad. Of course you never know, with good fortune smiling on us it is possible to be triumphant in South Africa and after going out on penalties in five of the last eight major tournaments we've been involved in maybe its about time we had a bit of luck on our side.

No comments: