Friday 14 August 2009

Friday 14th August 2009

Parliament may be in the middle of its summer recess, but that hasn't stopped the breaking of a big political story this week, after Conservative MEP Daniel Hannan has said some strong words about the NHS. The contraversy comes after President Barack Obama faces opposition from the right wing over plans to implement a National Health Service in America.
In the wake of the comments by Hannan, I think Health Secretary Andy Burnham was right to label him unpatriotic today. The introduction of the NHS in 1948 was one of the great achievements of the twentieth century that British peope should be proud of. It may have a few problems and has been reformed over the years, most notably by Thatcher in the 1980s, but the core principles of providing a free, universal health care system for everyone remains today.
In my view I think Daniel Hannan has a huge ego and will open his mouth without thinking properly in order to get some media attention. Refer back to my blog from March 26th this year for details on his extreme attack on Gordon Brown.

I write this from the office of the Newbury Weekly News, as I complete my last day of work experience here. I have thoroughly enjoyed the week, its been great working at a local newspaper at "the heart of the community", as their slogan says. Its been good to get some work published both online and in print and this week has given me a good indication of what I want to do when I graduate next year. I've also found out that I must definately learn shorthand!

More updates to come on Saints' start to the season when I'm back in Southampton next week.

No comments: