Monday 31 August 2009

Monday 31st August 2009

In just under 18 hours the transfer window slams shut and English clubs will no longer be able to buy players. Managers up and down the country will be looking to make a few last minute deals before 5pm on Tuesday, but I think there will be an anti climax.
It will take a lot to beat last season's summer transfer deadline day, when Manchester City were taken over by billionaires and just hours later smashed the British transfer record by signing Robinho from under the noses of Chelsea. They also made an audacious attempt to sign Dimitar Berbatov, but the Bulgarian striker eventually completed his move to Manchester United after months of speculation.
So I can't imagine any huge transfers on the scale we witnessed last year happening tomorrow, but lets hope I'm proved wrong. Most important for me is that Southampton boost their squad, as they're still looking for their first league win of the season. I think a right back (possibly on loan to replace the injured Greame Murty), centre back, winger and striker are all needed, but I can't see four players signing tomorrow, once again I hope I'm proved wrong though.




Over the weekend I watch The Damned United on DVD, a brilliant film which tells the story of Brian Clough's ill fated spell as manager of Leeds United in 1974. Michael Sheen plays Cloughie perfectly and gets all his mannerisms down to a tee. Interestingly, some of the best scenes are the deleted ones that come as a bonus with the DVD, my favourite one being when Clough burns his predecessor Don Revie's desk in the club car park to get rid of his legacy.
Brian Clough's family were upset with the film as well as David Peace's novel which the film is based on, but I think Sheen gives credit to the great man. After watching this film Its certainly clear that there are very few larger than life characters like Clough left in the game today.

No comments: