Thursday 27 August 2009

Thursday 27th August 2009

Tory MEP Daniel Hannan has put his foot in it once again and embarrassed his party by claiming his political hero is the racist Enoch Powell.
Following on from his comments earlier this month which criticised the NHS (see August 14th entry of this blog), I can't help but feel that Hannan is pushing his luck with Conservative leader David Cameron, who is trying to modernise the party. It seems to me that Hannan is testing Cameron and seeing how far he can take things before being disciplined and possibly expelled from the Conservative party. He is making a more outrageous right wing statement every week that if he carries on at this rate he'll soon be praising the work of the BNP.
Hannan attracts such bad publicity for his party that it makes people such as myself who are still undecided about who to vote for in the next General Election very skeptical about voting Tory. Its a great shame that as an MEP for South-East England he is representing me in the European Parliament, its individuals such as him that persuaded me to vote for the Green party in June's election. The more David Cameron dissociates himself with this egotistical, attention seeking, right-wing idiot the better chance he has of becoming Prime Minister after the next General Election.

Since the start of the football season, I've been giving Saints players a rating out of 10 for every game I've seen them play. Since I won't be travelling to Stockport on Saturday, Tuesday's Carling Cup defeat to Birmngham was my last Saints game this month. Here are my top three rated players for August:

1. Dan Harding - average rating 7.75, from 4 games
2. Kelvin Davis - average rating 7.5, from 4 games
3. Greame Murty - average rating 7.0, from 2 games

So, based on the games I've seen, Dan Harding is my Saints player of the month. The left back appears to be Saints most effective summer signing so far, lets hope he can keep up this form. Last year's player of the season Kelvin Davis has had another good month, but at this level its slightly concerning he's still being kept busy in goal, hopefully the defence will improve to give him more protection.
Greame Murty has looked really solid at right back from the games I've seen him play for Saints, but it looks like the knee ligament injury he suffered on Tuesday will keep him out for a while. Pardew needs to sign another right back, as I'm not convinced Lloyd James's best position is in defence.

Murty was scheduled to meet fans at West Quay this afternoon, but his injury meant Matt Patterson took his place alongside Rickie Lambert to sign autographs. I went to meet the two strikers earlier (see picture below), nice lads, felt a bit sorry for Patterson as everyone wanted to chat to Rickie Lambert and weren't too interested in talking to him.

Above: Me posing with strikers Rickie Lambert and Matt Patterson at the Saints West Quay store earlier today.

No comments: